São Miguel das Missões (Portuguese for St. Michael of the Missions) is a Unesco World Heritage site located in the small town of São Miguel das Missões in the northwestern region of Rio Grande do Sul,
Jesuit missionaries founded the mission in the 18th century in part to catechise the Guaraní Indian population and to protect the natives from the Portuguese slave traders known as the "Bandeirantes".
The mission was built between 1735 to around 1745.
The Treaty of Madrid in 1750 handed sovereignty over the area from Spain to Portugal and the Jesuits were ordered to leave.
Their refusal to comply led to the mission's termination in a battle with a Portuguese-Spanish army which had been sent to enforce the newly agreed upon frontier between the two colonial powers.
The ruins of São Miguel das Missões are protected by UNESCO since 1983.
Julie Dunn Fine Art Photography is printed by The Julie Dunn Gallery with the highest quality paper and inks for archival purposes and to give the best presentation of the Fine Art Photograph.
12x18 - Signed by Julie in the corner of the image with a "JD"
24x34 - white boarders around a 20x30 image - hand signed by Julie below the image with the name of the image and signature.
"The Missions" listed in:
Black & White Photography
, Brazil, Architecture, Spiritual